Hangover cures vary far and wide. Everyone has their kick-starter food after a night on the town (or a night on the sofa “accidentally” drinking an entire bottle of Pinot Grigio to yourself while hurling unnecessary abuse at 18-year-old X Factor contestants, there’s no judgement here). Personally, I know of several.
I have an aunt who absolutely swears by Diet Coke. My partner won’t get out of bed after a drink unless a meal with meat heavily involved is on offer. Someone I work with even says tuna does the trick, apparently.
One of my personal hangover cures is a bacon and fried egg sandwich. For me, it’s perfect for those post-drink mornings when I need something a bit greasy but my stomach can’t quite face a full-on fry-up. It’s certainly not a healthy breakfast, and I’m ashamed to rely on it quite so much when I’m hungover but, you know, alcohol does funny things to a girl.
But if, like me, you’re partial to a bacon and fried egg sandwich then fear not! I’ve managed to trim the edges a little to create the same end product but with just a tad less guilt. These are my top tips:
- If it doesn’t make you want to vomit in your fragile state, then try cutting off as much fat from the bacon as possible before cooking it
- Always grill instead of frying; as good as fried bacon smells to your numbed senses, grilling gets rid of way more fat and grease
- Use Fry Light cooking spray when you fry your eggs instead of proper oil. Don’t worry, your egg won’t stick to the bottom of the pan and scramble in your struggle to scrape it off – Fry Light is just as good, and has far fewer calories!
- As appealing as a thick chunk of white bread looks on the morning after, be strong! Stick to wholemeal if you can
- Don’t use butter! Sounds weird, but if you’re going to squeeze a healthy dose of ketchup or brown sauce on there anyway, that along with the egg yolk should make the sandwich moist enough without having to add butter to the mix
And there you go! Those are my little tips to make a greasy hangover a cure a little less sinful. You probably already feel bad enough about yourself after those drunk texts to your ex anyway…