Self-care is different for everyone. Some people use their ambitious nature as self-care to quench their insatiable thirst to climb the ladder while, for others, self-care is all about soaking in bubblebath and relaxing to the max. It’s a personal thing, and only you know what form of self-care works for you.
As I’ve already said, I spent last year driving towards practical, “adult-y” things – and achieved a hell of a lot! But, because of that, I’m taking more than just a personal day – I’m taking a personal year! 2018 is going to be the year when I focus on myself and, on that note, I’m starting off with my own little ‘To-Do’ list of self-care.
I’m not saying I’ll be keeping these up religiously for the next twelve months, but I am going to try to remind myself that these things, while they may seem small and a bit random, could be exactly what I need to really make this year all about me, me, me.
1. Do a cleansing face mask once a week.
2. Spend more time on dental hygiene – interdental brushes, mouthwash, anything to fix this stereotypically dodgy British smile!
3. Moisturise my face, hands and feet properly every night before bed.
4. Use nourishing product on my hair after every wash.
5. Keep nails painted and filed as much as possible. And stop biting the damn things!
6. Get hair cut more regularly, and keep up the colour on it.
7. Use medicinal lip balm every night before bedtime to stop them cracking, especially when it’s cold.
8. Spend at least an hour a week reading.
9. Go on a couple of walks each week – and no, the walk to and from work doesn’t count!
10. Get into bed one hour than usual one day every week – get a real early night!
11. Give to a charity that I don’t already donate to once in a while. Even if it’s just remembering to put some change in the charity pot by the supermarket till, or actually stopping in the street for a charity worker and making a quick donation. I won’t miss a few pennies here and there.
12. Find more excuses to wear a dress – get out of those skinny jeans and actually wear something different from your fit-to-burst wardrobe!
13. Light a scented candle in the bedroom when unwinding before going to sleep (but for God’s sake blow it out before you nod off!).