Um, who says pigs in blankets are just for Christmas?!
We usually only tuck into these little porky treats over the festive season but they’re so, so delicious that I say it’s time to stop restricting ourselves; we deserve pigs in blankets all year round!
These supersized versions of the chipolata classic are great for a finger food dinner, something messy and yummy that kids will love getting stuck into, and would make an awesome addition to the BBQ as well. Think of a fast food hot dog, dripping in grease and cheese and whatever else they throw into the mix – this home-cooked, oven-baked alternative leaves you much better off, even at 678 calories per person!
So, this is how I did it…
1. Heat the oven to 200°C, lay out the strips of each bacon slice on a tray.
2. Place the sausages on top and roll the bacon strips around each one (we’re all familiar with pigs in blankets, so you should have an idea of what you’re going for here!)
If possible, stick a small wooden skewer or toothpick through each sausage to help stop the bacon unraveling.
3. Place in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes.
(I like bacon to be crispy as hell so I tend to cook it a little longer!)
4. While the bacon-wrapped sausages cook, slice the onion and throw into a frying pan with cooking spray or a tiny drop of oil and cook gently on a low heat for 10 – 15 minutes.
5. Slice open the finger roll, place the ‘pigs in blankets’ inside and top with onions – and a huge dollop of ketchup and mustard, if you’re me!
This meal really is open to interpretation. You could swap out the pork sausages for leaner alternatives; choose from white or wholemeal finger rolls; adorn with pickles instead of onions; or top with lashings of sauces. It’s the perfect affordable family food where everyone can get involved, even little hands!
The cheapest options I could find from UK supermarkets for this recipe are below and accurate at the time of publishing, so grab your shopping bags and get going!
4 Pork Sausages – Woodside Farms Pork Sausages – 89p – Tesco
4 Slices of Bacon, Fat Removed & Sliced into Thin Strips – Everyday Essentials Unsmoked Back Bacon – 89p – Aldi
4 Hot Dog Rolls – Finger Rolls – 60p – Morrisons
1 Medium Brown Onion – Wonky Onions – 42p – Morrisons
Because it’s a pretty straightforward meal, easy to grab ‘n’ go and not much foodie prep going on, there isn’t much seasoning to faff about with here. When the onions are in the pan, throw in a touch of salt and pepper to taste but, really, that’s about it!