I recently went to a friend’s BBQ (first one of the summer, let potato salad flow and long may the fruit cider reign…) where he served chicken coated in this lemon sauce, it was absolutely delicious. It gave me the inspo to create this dish, in the hopes of cooking something equally as yummy at home.
The lemon ’n’ lime marinade is not only a fresh, tasty flavour, but makes the chicken incredibly soft and succulent too. To go with it, I made sweet, sticky rice loaded with veggies and, because we had some wholemeal wraps wilting in the bread bin in desperate need of being eaten, I used those too.
Altogether it comes to around 700 calories per person – but it is a little carb-heavy, I’ll admit. Minus either the wraps or the rice and you could make this meal much leaner. We just didn’t want to throw away perfectly good food!
So, this is how I did it…
1. Squeeze the juice of one lemon and one lime into a bowl or freezer bag (make sure you don’t have any cuts on your hands first because that shit STINGS!) and season. Add the chicken breasts, coat them thoroughly, place on a baking tray and cook on 200°C for 25 minutes.
2. While the chicken cooks, place the rice in a bowl, cover with water, season and microwave (usually takes around 25 – 30 minutes – I dunno, check the packet!)
3. To a frying pan add sliced onion and pepper with a splash of soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce, fry for around 5 minutes. Pour in a splash of water so the veggies don’t burn and chuck in a handful of frozen sweetcorn and frozen broccoli for good measure. Cook for another 5 minutes.
4. Take half a lemon and half a lime, squeeze the juice into a saucepan with teaspoon of sugar (and a teaspoon of plain flour, if you’ve got it), mix briskly together and heat VERY GENTLY and VERY SLOWLY on a VERY LOW HEAT. The sauce should thicken a little.
5. Once the rice has finished cooking, drain and stir in with the veggies. Add some more sweet chilli sauce to taste.
6. Remove the chicken from the oven, drizzle over the lemon and lime sauce from the pan, slice and wrap up in wholemeal tortillas.
This recipe might seem like one of my more ‘specific’ creations on the surface, but it’s still wide open to welcome your own ideas. Change chicken breasts for thighs or drumsticks; cook on the BBQ rather than in the oven; choose to serve with a salad for a fresh, zingy lunch instead of a warm, filling dinner; or pick from a whole different variety of veggies to throw into the rice. See? Loads of options!
2 Chicken Breasts – Ashfield Farm Chicken Breast Fillets – £1.69 – Aldi
2 Lemons – Grower’s Selection Lemons Loose – 60p – ASDA
2 Limes – Limes – 58p – Lidl
140g Brown Rice – Golden Sun Long Grain Brown Rice Easy Cook – 99p – Lidl
1 Bell Pepper, Sliced – Red Pepper – 49p – Lidl
1 Medium Onion, Sliced – Grower’s Selection Onions By Weight – 15p – ASDA
2 tbsp Frozen Sweetcorn – Green Grocer’s Supersweet Corn – 79p – Lidl
Handful of Frozen Broccoli Florets – Smartprice Broccoli – 90p – ASDA
Wholemeal Tortilla Wraps – Wholemeal Tortilla Wrap – 90p – Morrisons
With the lemon ’n’ lime chicken marinade, make sure you add some dried garlic flakes and top the chicken breasts with a pinch of salt and pepper before they go in the oven. To the rice, add a pinch of dried coriander. And, finally, to the veggies, on top of the soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce, add some garlic flakes, dried coriander, some chilli flakes for an extra kick, salt and pepper.