I always feel a bit childish going to a restaurant and ordering a hot dog but, man, they’re just so delicious! Chilli dogs are my absolute favourite; sausages topped with messy, spicy chilli spilling out of the bun with every bite… Okay, I need stop, I’m salivating here.
#ThisGirlEats finds healthy alternatives to my most loved foods and, as I’m sure you know, chilli dogs are usually made with very fatty meats. This version cuts that fat down with vegan sausages and a hearty bean chilli, but holds onto a super satisfying flavour.
I think the word “vegan” freaks people out sometimes, conjuring up ideas of scary new ingredients and complex cooking, things we don’t always understand. But, as you can see here, it doesn’t have to be like that! This recipe is so easy, and it all starts with frozen sausages – you can’t get much simpler than that!
4 Vegan Sausages
4 Hot Dog Rolls
1/2 Tin of Mixed Beans
1/2 Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
1/2 Medium Carrot, Sliced
1 Medium Onion, Sliced
1 Bell Pepper, Sliced
Every chilli needs a kick and this is no exception! Once you’ve added the chopped tomatoes to the pan, top it up with dried garlic flakes, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, tomato puree, salt, pepper and a sprinkling of chilli flakes for spice.
So, this is how I did it…
1. Cook the sausages according to packet instructions – the Linda McCartney ones I’ve used here (and are SERIOUSLY yummy!) take 15 minutes on 180°C, but double check the timings for other brands.
2. While the sausages cook, heat a frying pan with a small drop of oil or a spritz of cooking spray and fry off the onions and carrots for a couple of minutes.
3. Throw in the bell pepper and tinned tomatoes, season well and cook on a medium-high heat for around 10 minutes – make sure it doesn’t start to stick!
4. Empty the tin of mixed beans into the pan and simmer on a low heat for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
5. Serve up the sausages in hot dog rolls, top with the bean chilli and get messy!