How much does it cost? This recipe cost me less than £1.25 per person.
What are the benefits? This dish is a great source of nice, lean protein but is low in both fat and sugar.
This recipe was originally planned as a light, fresh meal perfect for summer. Unfortunately, the weather seems to have changed and it’s getting a bit dreary outside so it looks as though I’m a little late… Still, it’s cheap, easy and good for you, so it’s well worth a go. ☀️
Essentially, at the bare bones, it’s just chicken and potatoes. Good, basic food, you can’t get much simpler than that. But plain ‘n’ simple isn’t exactly my thing, I’m afraid – I like to take the very concept of plain ‘n’ simple and jazz it up a little. With just a squeeze of citrus and a spoonful of butter and herbs, these ingredients become an exciting, flavoursome dish at a lower price.
2 Chicken Breasts
1 Tin of New Potatoes
1 Tbsp of Butter, Margarine or Dairy-Free Alternative
1 Tbsp Dried Parsley
The flavours really shine in this recipe, and the seasoning definitely helps with that. Add a pinch of salt, pepper and dried garlic to the lemon and lime juice, and spruce up the chicken with one last dash of salt and pepper before it goes into the oven too. With the potatoes, salt the water that they boil in and, of course, coat with dried parsley. If you haven’t got parsley, there are plenty of other herbs you can use that’ll be just as good.
So, this is how I did it…
1. Squeeze the lime juice and lemon juice into a bowl, season with dried garlic, salt and pepper, and place the chicken into the bowls. Make sure they’re coated entirely in the juices. 🍋
2. Place the chicken on a baking tray (with a tiny drop of oil or cooking spray so it doesn’t stick), sprinkle with a dash more salt and pepper, and bake for 20 – 30 minutes on 200°C.
3. Rinse the tinned potatoes under some cold water, cook in a pan of boiling water according to packet instructions (mine took 5 minutes) and drain once cooked.
4. Stir the butter and parsley into the pan with potatoes until coated.
5. Serve! (I threw together a nice mixed salad to go with mine 😋)