How much does this cost? This recipe cost me less than 50p per person.
What are the benefits? The benefits of these deli rolls include being high in both protein and calcium, not to mention being perfectly suitable for vegetarians.
I don’t know about you, but finding something exciting to eat at lunchtimes is a real struggle. But now it’s time for that bland cheese sandwich and powdery soup-in-a-mug to step aside and make room for this absolute beauty.
This recipe is only three ingredients. Three! How great is that?! Just grab yourself a delicious slab of salty halloumi, a handful of rich mushrooms and slice open a soft, seeded roll to make this wonderfully flavourful dish.
It might be just a light lunch, but it’s a real heavyweight when it comes to nutritional brownie points. You’ve got a shed-load of calcium coming from that halloumi and loads of protein from the mushrooms, not to mention you can enjoy this one on ‘Meat-Free Monday’ – and every other day of the week too!
4 Mushrooms, Sliced
1/4 Block of Light Halloumi, Sliced
1 Deli Roll
A light lunch can still be bursting with flavour; just sprinkle a pinch of dried garlic, dried thyme, salt and pepper in with the mushrooms to make this even tastier!
So, this is how I did it…
1. Cook the halloumi – either grill or fry – on a medium heat, for about five minutes on each side.
2. Fry the sliced mushrooms for around 5 minutes on medium-high heat with a tiny drop of oil or cooking spray, until soft.
3. Arrange the halloumi slices in the deli rolls, pile high with delicious fried mushrooms and dig in!
Tips & Tricks!
- A few slices of avocado would taste divine with this recipe, and they’d help bump up that nutritional value too 🥑
- Wholemeal rolls are going to benefit you even more, if you can get your hands on some!
- You could take the exact same ingredients, roll them up in a tortilla and make yourself a yummy lunchtime wrap 🌯