I don’t know about you, but finding something exciting to eat at lunchtimes is a real struggle. But now it’s time for that bland cheese sandwich and powdery soup-in-a-mug to step aside and make room for this absolute beauty.
This recipe is only three ingredients. Three! How great is that?! Just grab yourself a delicious slab of salty halloumi, a handful of rich mushrooms and slice open a soft, seeded roll to make this wonderfully flavourful dish.
It might be just a light lunch, but it’s a real heavyweight when it comes to nutritional brownie points. You’ve got a shed-load of calcium coming from that halloumi and loads of protein from the mushrooms, not to mention you can enjoy this one on ‘Meat-Free Monday’ – and every other day of the week too!
4 Mushrooms, Sliced
1/4 Block of Light Halloumi, Sliced
1 Deli Roll
A light lunch can still be bursting with flavour; just sprinkle a pinch of dried garlic, dried thyme, salt and pepper in with the mushrooms to make this even tastier!
So, this is how I did it…
1. Cook the halloumi – either grill or fry – on a medium heat, for about five minutes on each side.
2. Fry the sliced mushrooms for around 5 minutes on medium-high heat with a tiny drop of oil or cooking spray, until soft.
3. Arrange the halloumi slices in the deli rolls, pile high with delicious fried mushrooms and dig in!
Tips & Tricks!
- A few slices of avocado would taste divine with this recipe, and they’d help bump up that nutritional value too 🥑
- Wholemeal rolls are going to benefit you even more, if you can get your hands on some!
- You could take the exact same ingredients, roll them up in a tortilla and make yourself a yummy lunchtime wrap 🌯