Serves: 2 (well, it makes two breads)
How much does it cost? This recipe cost me less than £1.25 per bread.
What are the benefits? This roasted vegetable, mozzarella and garlic flatbread recipe is perfect for vegetarians, contains at least two – if not three! – of your five a day, and it a much healthier takeaway alternative.
I’m not even going to pretend; I’m rubbish at baking. Bread, in particular, never quite goes right for me. I don’t know, perhaps it’s just a knack I haven’t picked up yet but, thankfully, flatbreads I can juuust about handle.
I need help when it comes to baking though, and can’t just throw things together like I can when I’m cooking (and yes, baking and cooking are very different things!). To get the hang of how to make the base for this roasted vegetable, mozzarella and garlic flatbread recipe, I looked to the internet and one of my favourite back-to-basics chefs Jack Monroe for inspiration.
I jiggled around the measurements and methods a little and came up with this version. But really, for me, the bread isn’t even the most important thing (thank god!). It’s all about what goes on top.
Smothering these breads in delectable, mouth-watering garlic butter is flippin’ gorgeous, and then covering them in delicious roasted vegetables and melting mozzarella is what really starts me salivating.
I love making this bread because it’s super simple, combines three of my favourite things – veggies, garlic and cheese – and works as a tasty homemade alternative to takeaway pizza. And remember kids – carbs are our friends. 💛
350g Plain Flour
250ml Milk (or milk alternative)
5g (or 1 tsp) Dried Active Yeast
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Sugar
1 Garlic Bulb (or 1 tsp dried garlic)
5g (or 1 tsp) Grated Hard Cheese
15g (or 1 tbsp) of Butter or Spread
Pinch of dried parsley
1 Onion, Sliced
1 Red Onion, Sliced
1 Bell Pepper, Sliced
1 Aubergine, Chopped
6 Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
1 Ball of Mozzarella (light if possible), Drained
For the garlic butter, don’t be afraid to really pile on the garlic but also don’t forget to season with a teeny tiny touch of black pepper, salt and dried parsley – failing that, mixed herbs will do. With the roasted veggies, make sure to season really well with some dried garlic, chilli flakes, dried herbs, black pepper and salt.
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED VEGETABLE MOZZARELLA FLATBREADS
1. Mix the milk (it needs to be at least room temperature, don’t take it cold right from the fridge) with the yeast. Sieve the flour into a large bowl and, into the middle, pour the milk and yeast with a pinch of salt and pepper.
2. Combine the ingredients together until they form a dough, then split the dough into two halves, cover and leave for around 20 minutes.
3. Heat the oven to around 200°C. Throw all your chopped vegetables into a roasting tin together, cover with cooking spray or a little oil, season and cook for around 20 – 30 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, add your butter or spread and pop into the microwave for a few seconds until melted (this literally only takes about 10 seconds!) and stir in the hard cheese, garlic and herbs.
5. Uncover the dough, roll out into flatbreads, brush the melted garlic butter all over them and place them on a large baking tray. Remove the roasted vegetables from the oven and leave to one side; replace with the flatbreads. Leave to cook for around 6 – 8 minutes.
6. Take the breads out of the oven, scatter the vegetables and the torn mozzarella over the top and pop them back into the oven for 3 – 5 minutes, just enough time for the cheese to melt and everything to cook through.
7. Leave to cool if you want to eat later, or scoff a few slices straight from the oven if, like me, you just can’t wait!